Carruthers Internship – Spring Semester 2013
Education: Graduate student
Area of Study: Art History, Visual Culture, History, African American Studies, or American Studies
Purpose: To support exhibition projects related to the 50th anniversary of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing.
· Assist with artist research which includes but not limited to exhibition history, biographical information, and bibliographical history.
· Write artist biographies and descriptions of art for museum publications.
· Create artist files for artists involved with commemorative projects.
· Help coordinate performance projects.
· Manage communication between the curatorial department and artists and exhibition lenders.
· Other duties as assigned.
The Carruthers Intern will have the opportunity to contribute to the Museum’s public and support group programs.
· Lunch & Learn
· Gallery Talks
· Strong interest in African American art and history
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Strong visual analysis skills
· Extensive experience with library, archival, and web-based research
Time period: January 14 – May 3, 2013
Hours per week: 15-20 hours
The Carruthers Intern will receive a $3,000 stipend.
Additional application material: 10-15 pp writing sample from a research or seminar paper
Deadline is November 1, 2012. Please check out
For more information, contact Anne Forschler-Tarrasch at firstname.lastname@example.org