Course Proposals Sought for 2011 Fall MoMA Courses
Deadline: Thursday, June 30, 2011
The Department of Education is seeking new instructors and course proposals for five and eight-week fall MoMA Courses. We also invite previous applicants to re-submit or update existing course proposals. Please feel free to pass along the call-for-proposals to any colleagues outside the Museum who may be interested.
The fall term begins the third week of September and continues through early December. Each class meets once per week on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. – 12:50 p.m., or in the evenings from 6:00 – 7:50 p.m. or 8:10 – 10:00 p.m. The times may change slightly based on classroom availability and other conflicts. Enrollment is limited to twenty students per class (twelve for studio classes) and classes meet in the Museum’s classrooms, as well as in the galleries when they are available. A class may be cancelled if it does not meet enrollment requirements (a minimum of twelve students). The stipend for course instructors is $2,400 for an eight-week course and $1,500 for a five-week course. Prior teaching experience is required.
Survey courses, such as Modern Art 1880 – 1945 or Modern and Contemporary Art 1945 to Today, have consistently attracted an enthusiastic audience, as have more focused topics, such as contemporary art of the past decade. Proposals for studio courses and classes on current exhibitions, key artistic movements or artists, and contemporary art are also encouraged.
Consideration should be given to installations and exhibitions on view at MoMA during the course term in order to teach directly from these works. Holding class in the galleries is a highlight for the students and you are encouraged to incorporate teaching in the galleries.
The courses for the current summer term are posted on www.moma.org/courses.
For those interested in teaching a course at MoMA, please include the following in your proposal:
- Name (Department, if MoMA employee)
- Descriptive title for the class
- A brief description of the class (no more than 150 words) for the online listing. If you mention artists, please include both first and last names.
- An outline of the subject, time period, and major works and artists to be covered (no more than a page)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two or three sentence bio
- One letter of reference that addresses teaching experience if you have not taught a MoMA Course. Prior teaching experience is required.
- Incomplete proposals will not be considered
- Proposals will only be accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for course proposals is Thursday, June 30. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.