Casa de las Américas (Havana, Cuba) will be the site for a meeting (Oct. 16-20, 2017) focused on the theme “Socialization of Latinos in the United States: Education, Religion and Mass Media.”
The meeting intends to produce a thorough debate regarding the socialization processes that influence the relationships between migrants and their children in American society.
Participants will reflect on the perspectives Latinos in the United States as social subjects immersed in new socialization spaces that create formal educational processes that constitute breakpoints in the establishment of American society while being at the same time participants of informal processes that are substantiated by other socializing agents such as religions and their institutions; and the media and social networks on the Internet. Music and sports are areas that we also want to highlight in order to make them objects of analysis.
The Colloquium, consistent with the goals of previous meetings, will create a space of action with the presence of people of Latin American and Caribbean origins who are linked to the arts, literature and social sciences and humanities.
The following are proposed as central themes:
- Socialization of Latinos in the United States.
- Educative processes for Latinos in the United States as it relates to undocumented students and informal educational spaces.
- Public sphere, image and representation of Latinos in mass media.
- Music and socialization.
- Religions and their institutions as spaces for socialization of Latinos in the United States.
In addition, one of the working sessions will be dedicated to discussion of the history of Cuban emigration to the United States, the insertion of Cubans and Cuban Americans in the Latino communities, and the influence of the new scenarios in Cuba-U.S. relations. Furthermore, tribute will be paid to the life and work of the Cuban artist Ana Mendieta.
ABSTRACTS AND PAPERS
Scholars interested in taking part in the Colloquium may submit individual papers or panels. In either case, the following guidelines should be followed:
- An abstract of no more than 250 words should be submitted before July 20th, 2017 with the title and name of the author and institution of origin.
- The conference papers will not exceed 15 pages (double-spaced) which is equivalent to 20 minutes of oral reading.
- Participants should bring along with the printed text of their presentations, making use of the international standards for notes, citation and bibliography, and the original text in digital format on a flash memory drive or a CD- ROM.RECOMMENDATIONS
To facilitate your transfer and stay in Cuba, please contact your travel agent or:
CASA DE LAS AMÉRICAS
3a y G, El Vedado, La Habana, 10 400, Cuba,
Telephone: (537) 838-2706/09, ext. 129. Fax: (537) 834-4554